Monday, August 10, 2009

Spatulatta!

I was hanging out with my family that lives in Portland this weekend and we cooked this delicious dinner for my aunt's birthday. I wish I had pictures, it was absolutely beautiful. Grilled Ahi tuna steaks, jasmine rice with vindaloo sauce, and this delicious Gomae salad, a traditional Japanese spinach dish.

When I asked Don where he got the recipe for the Gomae salad, he said a friend of his had these two nieces that have their own cooking show on YouTube and when he googled the dish, their video was the first to pop up.

Since I have been thinking about nutrition a lot lately, both in my personal life as well as public education, it struck me as a really unique and fantastic idea for children to have their own cooking show. What better way to teach young people not only about what is healthy, but about the importance of preparing meals and celebrating food and family. They also like to focus on cooking international foods with other children from around the world. The girls, Belle and Liv, who are now 13 and 11 years old, started doing these one-minute cooking show vignettes back in 2005 and they now have their own website, cookbook for kids, and are starting to produce these vignettes for tv news programs.

It's funny how the same things come up again and again in a given time period. Not only am I now trying to finish Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemna after a 9 month reprieve, but my friend Julie was recently telling me about this article that Pollan wrote for The New York Times about cooking as a spectator sport. I definitely suggest reading this article, as it explores our fascination with the Food Network and the implications of taking cooking out of the kitchen (and onto the television). Finally, in discussing our bleak future with a "veteran food marketing researcher", Pollan is told that it's pretty much no use: "...the skills are already lost. Who is going to teach the next generation how to cook? I don't see it."

And on that note... I give you Gomae Salad by Spatulatta!

And also this...because it's funny.

One thing less interesting to me than a story involving Julia Child is two stories involving Julia Child

Did I mention that I baked this weekend?? I am so domestic!

No comments:

Post a Comment