Wednesday, August 5, 2009

no more ms. nice girl

Today I stood up to one of my coworkers about usurping my authority when I'm with a client. My heart was beating so fast. Why is this so hard for me?

Whenever I'm explaining something to one of our clients and this coworker happens to be around, he always interrupts and takes over the situation, as if he has more knowledge on the subject than me. Quite frankly, it's offensive. It sends a message to the client that I do not know what I'm talking about or that I do not have the authority to distribute information or make decisions on our company's behalf (which I do). I'm pretty sure he does this with our male co-workers as well, but it offends me particularly because I'm the only woman who works here and I technically hold the lowest position on the totem pole. Thus what little power I have, I would like to hold on to. Besides, I work too damn hard to have someone not take me seriously.

On that note, I just ordered this book online... A friend of mine highly recommends it for any woman who is interested in financial planning. Hopefully it will encourage me to stand up for myself in the work place more often and make sure I get the respect and compensation I deserve.
Here are a few highlights from an excerpt I found online:

“Nice girls” don’t get rich in large part because of the social messages they receive when they are growing up:

* Money is power, and most little girls are not taught to be powerful—they’re taught to be “nice.”

* Girls are socialized to be caretakers, nurturers, and accommodators in society—not necessarily breadwinners.

* As child bearers and caretakers women often work jobs discontinuously and are penalized for it. Alternatively, they’re put on something demeaningly referred to as “the mommy track.”

* Women are more likely to spend their income on their children and the household, whereas men are more likely to be prudent about investing.

* Women are reluctant to ask for wages, perks, or raises reflective of the value they add to their organizations because they’re not sure they “deserve” it.

Of course, there are more important things than getting rich, but damn...it would be nice to see some moolah ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment